AT CAMP ISLAND
A Kodiak experience like no other
Nearly a hundred miles from the nearest paved road, the Kodiak Brown Bear Center & Lodge is the place for a quintessential Alaska Adventure!
The Bear Cave, the Lodge's gathering room, is a casual space where our guests can dine, visit, or just unwind after a busy day in comfort. Relax while watching bears meander down the banks of Karluk Lake and taking in the breathtaking panoramic views of surrounding mountains.
Built in 2020, the gathering room includes a commercial kitchen, entertainment area with satellite television, and room for all to dine. Local indigenous art is also featured in the Gathering Room.
View the Banya (SAUNA) in 3d
View the bearcave in 3d
Activities Beyond Bear Viewing
The chance to see a Kodiak bear is often what draws guests to the Center & Lodge. But once they get here, they learn that there are many other exciting, memorable, and relaxing things to do, such as:
- Hiking on Camp Island – Guide Required
- Kayaking on Karluk Lake near Camp Island – Guide Required
- Stand-up Paddleboarding
- Sport fishing from the dock/around Karluk Lake (catch and release)
- Fly-Fishing: (available through our partnership with FishHound Expeditions)
- Bird watching and photography on Camp Island and in the field
- Observing and photographing other animals (such as fox, otter, and deer) and plants
- Learning about Alutiiq culture and native archeological sites
- And our favorite: hanging out with old and new friends and swapping stories over good food, drink, at our bear paw shaped firepit